26 April 2014

Writing {Things I love}


I have to admit it's a love/hate relationship.  My ability to procrastinate rather than write is legendary.  But when you get into the zone, when the words are flowing, it's the greatest feeling in the world.

I have bad writing habits.  I sit on the couch, legs up and the laptop balanced on my lap.  Not the best ergonomics! Still it's the best way for me to write.

I'd love to be one of those cool kids who go to a hip cafe to write but that never ends up happening.  Instead I drink coffee and read the paper and do everything but write.  It's too distracting.  Plus I hate having all my stuff on the table then needing to go to the toilet and risk having it all stolen.

I do like writing on public transport.  If I'm on the train and it's quiet, I can write.  Many years ago, I'd write in my notebook every morning on the way to work.  I had notebooks full of "I hate my job..." scribblings so I kissed that shitty job goodbye.

I write better at night.  I have night owl tendencies anyway.  When I write, I drink coffee sometimes, other times big cups of tea.

How do you write?  Do you write in big chunks of time or a few moments stolen between other responsibilities?  What is your favourite time of day for writing?

Want to know when my next book is coming out -- and other fun stuff? Join my totally non-spammy mailing list. http://bit.ly/15OYBj2

10 comments:

  1. "My ability to procrastinate rather than write is legendary." This sounds exactly like me!

    I use the program "Freedom" to block the internet—my nemesis. This forces to focus on my work and write instead of researching and procrastinating. I do 40-minute sessions and usually get around 500 words down per session. The tricky part is booting Freedom up again after those 40 minutes are up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a program to shut out the internet but have never used it. I think it's the getting started rather than the distractions once I start.

      Delete
  2. I saw something just yesterday about a great workstation. It had a recliner as the chair. I think feet propped up is the best way to write.

    Liz A. from Laws of Gravity

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Ha, I have spy cameras on you :D

      Delete
  4. I like going to a pub or brewery to write. I sip on a beer and write, though I get funny looks. Too bad I am not a coffee drinker or I would be in a cafe writing. Why can't cafes also serve booze :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What? Cafes don't serve booze where you live? It's kind of mixed here. Obviously if it's a city cafe doing a quick lunch for workers, they aren't licensed but most other cafes do.

      Delete
  5. I like writing in large blocks, I prefer the pen/pencil method, but use the computer for typing it all up. Cafe's can be very distracting. Loving your W word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find I can't write by hand now. Like literally can't. My fine motor skills have been lost through too many years of computer use!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting. Comments by dickheads may be ridiculed publicly or privately, all others are appreciated and treated with respect.