04 May 2013

I've done two bad things lately

I'll 'fess up to one of them.  I joined a gym (that's not the bad thing) but, after a few visits decided it wasn't for me.  It's a 24 hour access gym with staff there during the day and swipe card entry after hours. 

The first thing I disliked was that they have no lockers, just shelves for your bags.  If I go to the gym after work, I have my wallet, my Galaxy tab and other valuables in my bag.  I don't want to spend my workout time keeping one eye on it to make sure no one swipes anything.

Secondly, the gym is tiny (3 smallish rooms) and, after work, it's far too overcrowded.  There is one lat machine in the whole gym (and a heap of those shitty machines that you don't even need), there are maybe 6 treadmills.  That's a lot of waiting.  Plus there are about 4 personal trainers working there and they are arrogant, like most personal trainers, and hog all the space.  I had to try to get over a personal trainee on the floor blocking the water fountain.

Also, there are no change rooms just 2 toilets and a shower (unisex).  I don't like changing in toilets or showers.  Especially showers, they are all wet.

Then I lost my wallet with my swipe card in it.  To replace it would cost $$$.  I think they charge about $40! For a plastic swipe card!

So I cancelled my membership.  They started being dodgy - I actually cancelled on the payment day and they said I owed that day's payment + 2 more fortnights.  The cancellation period is 4 weeks but that meant I'd be paying for 6.

Then the payment didn't go through so they tried again.  I didn't know they could just bung a payment through your account whenever they felt like.  That seemed dodgy to me.

They tried a few times to take the payment out and it didn't work.  Then it dawned on - because I'd lost my wallet, I'd got a new card issued and they had the old number.

I was going to give them the new credit card number but then realised they could "forget" to cancel the direct debit and I have nightmares trying to sort that out.

I figured I'd pop in after work and sort it out but the "manned" staff are never there the hours they are supposed to be so I've just ignored them.  After a couple of emails, they have given up but they looks of things. 

Technically, I should pay those last 2 payments but it's really money for nothing. I couldn't use the gym without a card and I had no intention of paying for a replacement. 

On a slightly different note - how would you feel about going to a gym that's unstaffed after hours?  I didn't really think about it at first then I noticed an emergency alarm button and that got me worried.

You could get stuck under some gym equipment or have an accident and there would be no staff to help out.  Maybe you could limp to the emergency button, maybe not.

Also, if you are a woman alone in the gym at night and some hulking dude came in, that could turn nasty, really nasty.  Especially if they are on some of those dodgy bodybuilding drugs.

As to the second bad thing I've done... it's nothing that big or bad but I don't really want to talk about it.

2 comments:

  1. Your second bad thing got the curious cat in me wondering. I hope that all gets sorted out...

    As for the gym, is there any way they would send you to collections? My gym is 24 hours from 4am Monday until 10pm Friday. They weekends are not 24 hours and any time it is open it is manned. Even my a half asleep young adult that sometimes appears more hung over than sleepy (maybe still drunk). Did your gym not have a trial period?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's only $25 so I don't think they'd bother. They didn't have a trial period but it was no start up fees or anything.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Comments by dickheads may be ridiculed publicly or privately, all others are appreciated and treated with respect.