08 April 2013

Return from Auckland


I just got back from Auckland today - nice to have a weekend away.  I didn't get a lot done because there was a triathalon happening in the middle of the city and, with so many streets blocked, it was hard to get around.

I caught the ferry to Waiheke Island which was beautiful and hit the beach for a while.  I seem to only ever go to the beach when I'm on holidays, never just for a day trip when I'm home in Australia.

Are there things you only do when you on holidays? 

4 comments:

  1. Glad you made it back safely from your trip. I tend to walk a whole lot when I go on vacation. I like to take a stroll and check out the sites. Like in Germany, I really wished the train had gone slower through certain parts because I wanted to take in the views. Though I never would have made it to all the places I visited if I had walked the whole time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've noticed that i like talk to interesting people in local bars when I go on vacation, Susie included ;-).

    I'm going on a long distance trip in about a month. I'm buying my plane tickets this week!! A vacation every 7 years is just way too darn long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Susie, I'd love to know the miles/kms I walked in Japan. I had a pedometer on my phone and was doing btw 5-10 kms on an average day! On hols, I did around 25km in one day = that's more than a half marathon. It's the best way to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Tom - I get shitty when I read articles on how to stay safe when travelling as a single woman. They always tell you to not go drinking alone. Sure getting absolutely shitfaced in a strange country probably isn't safe but a few drinks in a bar is tops. Some of my best holiday memories are from going out drinking with the locals. Especially the crazy locals in Kochi!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Comments by dickheads may be ridiculed publicly or privately, all others are appreciated and treated with respect.