25 April 2008

Research

I was thinking today about how sex is the hardest thing to research. You can research the build up but the actual act is an entirely different thing. I can be lying there, with my writing brain switched on trying to capture the feelings, the thoughts, the physical sensations but then I realise something -- it's BAD SEX.

I can't have my writer brain turned on during good sex; the two things are mutally exclusive. Good sex makes my brain go mushy. Afterwards I've been told I've done things or said things I can't even remember. That doesn't make for good research, but it's a lot of fun.

I don't know how other people do it.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, good sex makes me pull faces and say stupid things. Things that can have both of us weak with laughter.

    So not what I want to be putting in an erotic story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point, Kathryn! Along similar lines, I find there's something elusive about the best real-life sexual experiences:

    "Dear Reader: Last night I had the best sex of my life. Unfortunately, it's all a blur ... so instead, here's some sex I just made up sitting here at my desk."

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Comments by dickheads may be ridiculed publicly or privately, all others are appreciated and treated with respect.