29 January 2008

Short Stories

Lately I've been really getting into short stories - reading not writing. I've been rereading some Marukami then on the weekend there was an article in the paper on Raymond Chandler.

According to the article, a lot of the sparse style that he's credited with actually came about from his editor rather than his own writing style. There's a book that might be coming out with the original versions of some of his work. I find that kind of thing fascinating, seeing how a story has evolved, being able to pull it apart.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, Murakami and Chandler - two writers I lovelovelove!

    Interesting re Chandler. I love his style, but it does often seem to be the same story told over and over again, somehow. Book sounds fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a journalism tutor who encouraged me to read Chandler. Reading how Chandler viewed Marlowe as a character, I always felt that the style in his books was exactly as intended... so this intrigues me (and the more I think about it, the more sense it makes)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Comments by dickheads may be ridiculed publicly or privately, all others are appreciated and treated with respect.